Dracut Pizza Shop is Serving Up Pizza With a Purpose
October is National Substance Abuse Prevention Month, and your favorite Dracut pizza shop, Primo Pizza, is taking this time to do our part. During October, we’re dedicating and donating $1 from every pizza sold to charity as we kickoff our 5th annual Pizza With a Purpose event.
Addiction can happen to anyone – the “perfect” family next door, the high honor student in your class, your favorite local flower shop owner – addiction does not discriminate. However, if addiction does happen, it affects not only the individual but all those around – families, friends, coworkers, teachers, and so on.
Taking the time to recognize, support, and provide resources for those in need is a crucial role for everyone, whether you’re affecting or not. In this article, we’re providing some shocking facts that you may or may not realize, concerning substance abuse and how our team at Primo Pizza will do our part.
Addiction affects millions of Americans every year. Whether alcohol or other substances, addiction is a disease, and the statistics are shocking.
- Almost 21 million Americans have at least one addiction, yet only 10% receive treatment
- Approximately 88,000 Americans die each year due to alcohol abuse
- Since 1999, the sale of opioid painkillers has risen by 300%
- Nearly 140 people die every day from an opioid overdose
- 5 million Americans use cocaine at least one every month
- People between the ages of 18 and 25 use cocaine more than any other age group
- One million Americans are addicted to methamphetamine
- Nearly 400,000 minors between the ages of 12 and 17 used a hallucinogen for the first time in 2018.
- Alcohol and drug addiction cost the U.S. economy over $650 billion every year.
Pizza With A Purpose
As we mentioned, at Primo Pizza, we’re contributing by donating $1 from every pizza sold during the month. However, knowing where those funds are going is important. As a local business, we’re keeping it local by donating $1,000 to a student in need from Dracut High School and $1,000 to a student in need from the Lowell Vocational High School.
The remainder will be donated to the Herren Project.
Founded by former local NBA player Chris Herren, the Herren Project has helped individuals and families through the recovery of substance abuse. With only 1 in every 10 people able to receive the proper, quality treatment needed, the Herren Project is proud to have awarded over $4.2 million since 2011. To learn more about the efforts and impact this project has made, check out herrenproject.org.
Do your part this month and visit your favorite pizza shop in Dracut, Primo Pizza. Not only are we donating 100% of the funds raised, but we’re also providing the opportunity for our customers to contribute on higher levels.
Visit us today at 149 Parker Avenue to contribute by ordering the best pizza in town!